Thursday, May 12, 2016

100-day Trip: September, 2015

I drove across southern Ontario from Windsor to Niagara Falls.  Though I had seen the falls often from the air, I had never been there on the ground.

The Canadian side has some of the most wonderful tourist schlock I've ever seen.

Even plenty of dinosaurs!


And yes, the falls are spectacular!

I visited daughter Abigail who is on the Geography faculty ("not your nerdy kind of Geography, Dad") at the "University at Buffalo".  (Still "SUNY Buffalo" to some of us oldsters.) Her whirlwind tour included one of the Frank Lloyd Wright houses in the city:  

Next was a stop for the Vintage Festival at Lime Rock. I finally met Dave Nicholas, who runs the http://www.barcboys.com/ vintage racing website.  I had given him all of my negatives from the era, some of which are posted on barcboys.  I realised recently that I first went to Lime Rock the second year it was in operation.

Dave Nicholas
Dave had a great weekend, winning all four of the Group-1 events in his yellow "Honey Bee" MGA.

And back in New England, I got to serve as sternman on Judd Fischer's lobster boat.  

I handled more lobsters in two hours than I ever had before.
Judd's torpedo-stern wooden boat was built by Willis Beal of Beal's Island, Maine.

Karin and I had to fly back to L.A. to babysit her grandchildren for almost three weeks. They moved to Manhattan beach from Paris just three months before.

Pearlene at a school fair.

Clyde helps Pearlene view opals at the Natural History Museum


No comments:

Post a Comment